Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser


This is another one of those DVDs that has been sitting in my Netflix queue since who knows when. Then I got it in the mail, and it's been sitting on my desk for a month. So, I figured it was about time to watch it, especially since I have a soft spot for Werner Herzog after Grizzly Man and Incident at Loch Ness.

The story is based off an actual occurrence, in which a 17-year old boy appeared suddenly in Nuremberg, unable to speak or even relate, having spent his entire life locked in a cellar and mysteriously released. The people of the town then do their best to integrate him into society.

Right off the bat, I was jarred by the contrast between the legend and the character. I expected a teenager and got a balding man in his forties. Fortunately, no one tried to play him off as a teenager. Despite the confusion over age and a very slow start, the performance was delightful. Kaspar's origins as a lame, grunting creature and slow transcendence to cultured philosopher would serve as a worthy challenge for any actor. While it was difficult for me to like Kaspar at first, over time he began to grow on me. I found his way of speaking most endearing, as he would wax awkwardly philosophical in everything he said (apparently, some of this dialogue was taken from letters written by the actual Kaspar Hauser).

The story moved very slowly and did not allow for any sort of attachment to the characters. Nonetheless, it engrossed me, from the children teaching him rhymes to the Four Riddles at the Carnival (was the King of Punt drugged?) to the final mysteries surrounding Kaspar's dreams and murder, which, by the way, was terrifying enough without having to see it.

I liked this film a lot more than I expected, despite the DVD glitches. It was episodic, but it felt like a nice collection of vignettes that were enjoyable enough to earn four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment