Friday, November 19, 2010

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?


It had been a while since I last saw this movie. In fact, I couldn't remember a moment out of it. Nonetheless, I decided to add it to my queue after it came up in a class on monsters and detectives several years back. I'm actually quite glad I checked it out again, because now, the richness of the world really registered with me.

The blending of animation and live action is so extraordinarily well done, from the lighting on Roger as he moves from set through the work area and out into the real world, to the real effects that Jessica's two-dimensional fingers have as they pinch Eddie Valiant's cheeks. The gags, such as the "cattle call," where a line of cows practiced their lines, felt much wittier now that a few years have passed since the last time I saw the movie.

Nonetheless, the movie was a lot darker and less funny than I remember. It felt like a genuine noir film; it was too self-aware for the cartoon bits to be funny. The only time I really laughed aloud was when Eddie encounters Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny in free-fall and Mickey Mouse gives a giggle before saying "You could get killed." It just seemed a strange phrase to come out of the mouse's mouth. I spent the rest of the time marvelous at how Rob Zemeckis was able to get licensing for both Disney and Warner Bros. characters.

To be sure, I love crossovers. Despite the lack of laughs, the film is a feast of cross-references and self-mockery. The Daffy-Donald Duck Duel was just glorious to watch, and well, who can say "No" to Jessica Rabbit? Honestly... As a smart film that is a lot of fun to watch, I'm giving it four stars. It's one of those movies that just has to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment