Monday, November 8, 2010

The Cat Returns

It was a long day, so I decided to unwind with a little trip to Studio Ghibli.  Not really having heard anything about The Cat Returns, but having enjoyed the Studio's many other works, I decided to give it a shot.

The film tells the story of Haru, a teenage girl who saves a cat from being run over by a truck, and in exchange, the Kingdom of the Cats decides to reward her by making her the prince's bride.  Trouble ensues.

To be honest, I was left wanting so much more from this movie.  I wanted to know more about the Cat Bureau, more about how the Cat Kingdom fits in with the regular world.  I wanted to see more creative cats, cat inventions, cat tricks, and cat obstacles.  It felt underwhelming after Miyazaki, a sketch of what could have been much grander.  I did enjoy the character of the Baron, but I felt he was constrained too much to the role of guide/narrator.  I wanted to know his history, and I believe it could have played into the story just fine.  It felt as though it had been strained for content or even "dumbed down," and I wasn't that interested after a while.  The challenges just weren't that great.

I'll recommend this just to say you've seen it.  Nothing really life-altering or ground-breaking.  Though I'm taking the message of believing in myself to heart, it was presented in a rather raw, unfinished way.  Whether this is the fault of the original writer or the translator remains to be known.  Three stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment