Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Muppet Movie

I'm not sure whether it's a sin to have waited this long in my life to see The Muppet Movie, or Muppets: The Beginning. Nonetheless, it delivered on its entertainment claims. Completely lighthearted and whimsical, it delivered a solid hour and thirty-five minutes of eye-winking humor, adventure, and catchy songs.

While I was amazed at how the retouching and remastering kept the movie looking fresh and modern, I was rather underwhelmed with it as a whole. The characters seemed to be constantly explaining themselves and their actions (though I loved the use of the screenplay in the actual movie), and I had a hard time tracking their adventure. Maybe I've just seen too much of Miss Piggy, but I feel like she's made much more outlandish appearances in movies than in this one, minus one memorable moment when she squares off against Mel Brooks:
In any case, the highlights for me were the cameos and the songs, though the whole movie was definitely entertaining. I give it three stars, mostly because I think I can move on to other Muppet movies, but it has plenty of its own redeeming qualities, including its most eye-popping moment:

Big Bird

No comments:

Post a Comment