Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Dexter: Season Four


It was a long haul, but I've finally finished watching Season 4 of Showtime's Dexter, one of my favorite shows on the air.

For the uninitiated, here's the premise: Dexter Morgan works as a blood spatter analyst for Miami Metro PD. Then, at night, he turns to his favorite hobby: killing people, specifically other killers who have slipped through the clutches of the law. Cheery, eh? Actually, it kind of is...

Season 4 came as a much needed relief from the previous one, which frankly, was boring. Dexter's life became more complicated with the addition of a family, and the new antagonist was none other than my favorite former alien, John Lithgow, who, for all his background in comedy, reprised the role of a truly awful villain with aplomb.

The series in general has always resonated with me, not in the matter of killing, but in Dexter's total lack of understanding of normal human life. He can't hold a conversation, he spends too much time in his head, he just wants some time alone... In this season, his surprise arc is that he actually starts to want to be rid of his "Dark Passenger" and comes to genuinely value his family. From the looks of it, though, the "Dark Passenger" isn't ready to let him go just yet.

The highlights of the season are in its stakes (What will come of Dexter's steadily growing carelessness?), its acting (Yes, John Lithgow, I will play trains with you!), its unconventional approaches to relationships (I never thought I'd buy Deb and Lundy as a couple back in Season Two), and finally, its twists, which... I'll leave without parentheses.

If you haven't given Dexter a try, I highly recommend it. He'll hook you right from the start, plunge a needle into your neck, and have to facing your darkest deeds before the hour's up. I give this season five stars for its complex characters, gripping tension, and excellent twists.

Here's the trailer for Season 5. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment