Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Blade Runner


I've been putting off watching Blade Runner for months. Technically, it's been in my queue for over three years, but we'll say months. Why have I put it off so long? Rumors of three hours of snail-paced plot certainly factored in. Nonetheless, I vowed to view this acclaimed science fiction film before my birthday, and a mere one hour and fifty-seven minutes later, I have this to say:

Yes, the pace was slow. Yes, I found myself confused at times and unable to figure out what exactly our hero was doing, who he was chasing, and why exactly these villains were such a threat. Then, memories of Chinatown, not so subtly referenced, and all its ambiguity popped into my head. Despite all its plodding, Blade Runner did give me some valuable hints into how to make complex characters: Deckard's piano, the spider outside the window in Rachel's memory, and Sebastian's Methuselah's Syndrome prohibiting him from going into space.

Of course, let's not forget the set design. The opening vistas of Los Angeles, nine years hence, with the accompanying synthesized soundtrack, and the eerie spotlights that penetrated every corner of the character's lives prove nothing short of majestic. In short, visually, it was a treat.

Ultimately, I give it three stars, based on whether I'd be in a hurry to watch it again. The production value is great, and the soundtrack may be worth downloading, but there are other slow movies that I've found more engrossing, with characters that I cared about more, and a plot that kept me intrigued. Check it out just to say you've seen it. It may come in handy one day, should you ever find yourself at the mercy of a swarm of angry sci-fi nerds.

No comments:

Post a Comment