Sunday, April 10, 2011

Minion

Wow, it's been a while since I posted here last. Still, there's a perfectly logical explanation, and it is that I really buckled down and wrote two drafts of this script in the last month. So yes, Minion is now done after two years, registered, submitted, and now I actually have some time available to catch up with the rest of projects.

I learned several really important lessons about writing during this time that would be useful to detail below:
  • Writer's block is a good indicator that you've gone astray. Despite a deadline, it can be a good thing to go back and find that moment.
  • If a detail takes so long to research that it takes away from your creative time, it's probably not worth keeping.
  • Over-thinking is the death of creativity (and a lot of dating scenarios, but I digress).
  • You don't need to detail every time the characters turn their heads or smile or sigh.
  • A lot can be accomplished in only three hours.
  • Get through a full draft. Then worry about page count.
So, with these in mind, I'm going to take maybe a week off from scripts to catch up on reading and my website, and then it's off to the next project. With one actually completed, it's really encouraging. Write on!

No comments:

Post a Comment