Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What Every Body Is Saying (Chapter 3)

This chapter makes an extraordinary point: that legs are the most honest parts of our bodies, that they hold our tensions, emotions, and interests in their motion, position, and direction. There are a lot of neat tidbits to glean from this chapter with one slight problem. How on earth can a person tactfully observe another's legs in order to learn about their current conditions?

Navarro suggests that, in some cases, the action of the legs can influence the remainder of the body (e.g. bouncing legs lead to bouncing shoulders), and therefore, one does not need to take a furtive glance downward and risk a slap in the face, a very explicit indicator of a person's current emotional state.

I've realized, having read this chapter, that I am not only very expressive with my legs (especially at expressing impatience) but I am also completely incapable of getting this across to others. The bouncing legs, the lean away, the pointing toward the escape route... None of these, even when intentional, have any manner of effect on my roommate, for instance, who (bless her) can talk. Two hours of leaning away tends to lead to less bouncy legs; that much is certain.

On the opposite side of things, Navarro mentions that foot touching can be a sign of intimacy, in addition to leaning toward each other, which explains why so many people apologize to me if one of their feet so much as brushes one of mine at a table. Heaven forbid there be some form of footsies going down at lunch! This is, nonetheless, a fascinating idea, that the legs contain the honesty. If I can get away with it, I may spend more time leg watching. Of course, I may need to learn from my lunchtime friends and master the apology before attempting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment